The Acro-Cats Are In Town And You Don't Want To Miss This Traveling Cat Troupe
The Acro-Cats are here! I attended opening night of their show, here in Brooklyn, NY. Only in town September 7-10, this limited series is not one to miss. Featuring the Acro-Cats and the Rock-Cats, these kitties are trained and more talented than both you and me!
The Acro-Cats (who double as the Rock-Cats in the musical portion of the show) currently consists of 19 trained cats who travel the US with their human/trainer companions in order to entertain and delight the masses. They do tricks. They eat treats. They play musical instruments. They are more coordinated than I am.
And their show not only includes cats, but other animals such as rats(!), a groundhog, and a chicken named Cluck Norris:
Samantha Martin - the human behind the spectacle - is an animal expert who has fostered over 200 cats and kittens over the years - many of whom she's taken on the road with her as part of the show. And she revealed to us - that most of the show cats live with her. Ah yes, that #catladylife.
In fact, she mentioned that the Acro-Cats stage setup is literally her living room decor, and the Rock-Cats setup lives in her kitchen (the "stage" is actually her kitchen table).
The other humans involved in the show are assistants Charmaine and Debbie, two talented cat wranglers in their own right.
One really cool and notable thing about the Acro Cats is that all of the cats are rescues that Samantha found or fostered. During the show, she introduces all the cats and tells a little of their backstory. Here are just a few:
- Oz was the first male Acro-cat (all of the cat performers in this show were female except 2!). He came into Samantha's care at just TWO days old. She bottle fed him into the strapping lad he is today.
- Alley "the Athlete" is a stray who was picked up in Michigan and currently holds the Guinness World Record for longest jump by a cat (and according to GuinnessWorldRecords.com, it's 6 feet!)
- Jax "the Troublemaker" was found in a cooler and likes to sit on "her" skull. Jax is also computer savvy and has her own Twitter account: @jaxacrocat.
- Buggles is an all black cat who Samantha revealed is an introvert at heart and prefers the company of humans rather than her fellow cats. Buggles also plays the trumpet in the Rock Cats.
The show begins with some of the lesser-trained cats testing out their skills, prefaced with a warning from Samantha that some of the cats may decide to wander out into the audience. And yes, some of them did decide to socialize with the audience:
The Acro-cats portion of the show consisted of tricks like:
- jumping through hoops
- balance beam
- scaling a giant scratching post and jumping down to land on Samantha
- a Cluck Norris vs. Tuna bell ringing contest
The Rock-cats portion of the show consisted of a rocking cat band who is beyond Insta-worthy:
Be sure to join their Acro-Cats Fan Club on Facebook! And if you're in NYC this weekend, be sure to check out their show. You won't be disappointed.
All images taken by Patty Scull/That Cat Blog.